Yardbarker

Yardbarker

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Top Baseball Sleepers

The Counselor is IN:

I received a comment from one of our readers. I thought I would respond to it with a post about prospects.

dodgerfan32 said "...thank for helping me win my league last year. who is your top sleeper?"

Dodgerfan32,

Thank you for reading our posts. I am very excited that we were able to help you win your league last year. I hope you will be able to repeat this year. Here is a list of my top sleepers for this year.

Pitchers
1) David Price (SP) (TB) - I know that Price pitched great in the playoffs last year but most people will still try to avoid Rays pitch because Rays Pitching has historically been terrible. Price is young and his potential is very high.

2) Chris Volstad (SP) (FLA) - This 22 year old had a great partial season last year. He started 14 games and won 6 games. He posted a 2.88 ERA and a 1.33 WHIP. I look for a break out year for Volstad.

3) Carlos Marmol (Closer) (CHC)- Marmol has fully transitioned from starter to reliever. He is in competition to be the closer for the Cubs and he has a major inside track. Anytime you can pick up a closer that is under the radar, you should do it. Marmol should be successful closing as he demonstrated with seven saves last year.


Hitters

1) Adam Jones (OF) (BAL)- This young outfielder should be available in the late rounds of the draft or an auction. He has 5 steals already in Spring Training. I think he should easily have double digit homers and 20+ steals this season.


2) Jed Lowrie (SS) (BOS)-
Here is a guy that was dropped in a keeper league I am in. I will be trying to pick him up at my auction. It appears that Lowrie has won the starting SS job. He also will qualify for 3B in most leagues (45 games last year). Last year's stats are not impressive but I look for 2009 to be the break out year for this 24 year old.

3) Nelson Cruz (OF) (TEX)- Nelson is a late bloomer of a prospect at 28 years old. He had a great year last year in AAA with 37 Homers, 98 RBI, 24 SB, and a .346 BA. He is competing for the starting job. If he wins a starting job, he could be a steal for you since he should be a late round guy. I would take him even if he does not win the job out of Spring Training. Oh yeah, he will be hitting in the homer friendly "The Ball Park" in Arlington.

4) Chris Davis (1B,3B) (TEX)- Davis is another Ranger's prospect that I love. Davis played 51 games at 1B and 32 games at 3B last year for the Rangers. He should qualify for both positions. In 80 games last year for the Rangers, he hit 17 homers, 55 RBI, 1 SB, and 285 BA. He had another 23 homers in the minors last year. He is only 22 years old.



Rookies
1) Cameron Maybin (OF) (FLA)- Maybin should be the lead of hitter for the Marlins. He has 14 stolen bases in the minors last year and another 3 for the Marlins after he was called up. He also had 12 homers in the minors. Maybin is a 5 tool prospect that should produce decent this year but is a gem in a keeper league.

2) Travis Snider (OF) (TOR)- Snider demonstrate some power in the minors last year with 20 homers. He looks to be a year or two away from a break out year but worth a late round pick in a redraft league and worth an earlier pick in a keeper league.

3) Elvis Andrus (SS) (TEX)- Yes another Ranger on my list but to my defense, Elvis is in the building. I would have to draft this kid just for his name but lucky for me, he can play. This 20 year old is good enough to move All Star Michael Young to 3B. He has already won the job.



The Counselor is OUT:


No comments: