Yardbarker

Yardbarker

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Why I hate being a fan!

The Counselor is IN:

There are times I love being a fan. The start of the season, where every fan has hope that their team will achieve the top prize, is one of my favorite times. The thrill of a come back victory is always great. Nothing beats the high of your team winning the championship. These are the moments that you are giddy to wear all your team paraphernalia with pride.

Sometime being a fan of a team is tough. Being a fan of teams that are consistent losers is always difficult. It is also hard to be a fan of a team that is used to winning but has been losing for a while. It definitely is as bad when your team is expected to win and under performs during the season.

I fit into all of these categories. I am a fan of the Texas Rangers, Dallas Cowboys, and the Oakland Raiders (second favorite team- since the days of Marcus Allen). The Rangers have never been good. They have only made the playoffs twice and lost both time in the first round to the Yankees. The Raiders used to be great but have been perpetually bad over the last several years. My Cowboys were expected to be one of the best teams in the NFL this season but they have severely under preformed.

Last night I was wishing I was not a fan. The spastic Cowboys sent me through every emotion and back again. Every time I started to give up on my Cowboys, they had a good drive and I was given hope and it was dashed again. Over and over I would go from throwing my hat, to cheering, to throwing my hat again. I know my Cowboys hating friends loved this game. Last night’s game was the perfect microcosm of this year’s season. They have been giving me hope, dashing my hope, giving me more hope, and then dashing them again all season long.

After last night’s huge let down, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers decided to give the Cowboys a gift by losing today. The Cowboys are still in the playoffs if they win next week. Here we go again- more hope.

I’m really not enjoying being a fan right now. I am sure I will get over it. If nothing else, March will bring me hope that my Rangers can win it all this year. No, I am not smoking anything; I am just a fan, even when I hate being a fanatic.


The Counselor is OUT:


No comments: