Yardbarker

Yardbarker

Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Frozen Tundra of Kansas City

The Counselor is IN:

I found myself on the receiving end of two free tickets to the Chiefs game against the Chargers for today’s game in Kansas City. My youngest sister, who lives in Kansas City, agreed to accompany with me. When I received the tickets, it appeared that the weather would be in the 60’s which is perfect for a football game.

As the week progressed, the weather predictions were for temperatures in the 50s and for it to gradually get more chili during the game into the 40s. As often it is true, the weathermen were mistaken. I unfortunately dressed appropriately for the predictions.

I arrived in Kansas City in short sleeves and I was very comfortable. Knowing that the temperatures were supposed to drop, I brought a sweater, my leather coat, and my gloves. My sister dressed a bit warmer. We stopped and ate lunch before heading to Chief's Stadium and had the windows down. On our way to the stadium, the temperatures started dropping. We knew this was earlier than anticipated but figured it would only get down to the 40s.

The Chiefs performed well during the first half. The first quarter temperatures continued to drop but it was bearable unless the wind picked up. In the second quarter, the bone freezing wind picked up. Our breath became visible. We broke out the blanket we brought. By half time, I had to buy hot chocolate in an attempt to thaw my blood.

The third quarter did not fair as well for the Chiefs. It also did not fair well for us. The northern wind was ripping right through us. Our toes and fingers became numb. It was the "Frozen Tundra" of Kansas City. My sister and I finally gave up the fight and left half way through the third quarter. After we left, the Chiefs found a way to loose the game with a two score lead with 5:30 minutes left in the game.

I have always made a commitment to stay through the end of any college or professional game. I broke this commitment this weekend. The frost bite did not seem worth it in the 3rd quarter. After listening to the Chiefs blow another game, I felt better about my decision to leave early.


The Counselor is OUT:


No comments: