Yardbarker

Yardbarker

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Why does the American Pastime start it's season in Japan?

The Counselor is IN:


Major League Baseball has often been referred to as the National Pastime (or America's Pastime). It is viewed up there with apple pie and Fourth of July. We associate it strongly with our country. Even now days when the NFL is a more popular sport, there is still something special about baseball.

I always look forward to opening day. I associate it with the end of winter and the beginning of spring. This year, I feel disjointed because the MLB season has already begun in Japan. To me it is very strange that we let our National Pastime open its season in another country. I don't even like when the first game of the season opens in Canada.

I understand that there is a large baseball fan base in Japan. Many of their stars have joined Major League Baseball. I am sure that the game drew a lot of supporters. I am glad that are able to connect with other countries like Japan and Korea. But I do not appreciate that we forfeit our opening day to another country.

I do not know how to solve the issue but it really bothers me.

I am writing this post while watching Fox Sports' broadcast of today's Cardinals/Orioles Spring Training game. It is an oddity to watch a Spring Training game after two teams have played two regular season games. At least baseball is back.

Play ball!

The Counselor is OUT:

No comments: