Here is my running commentary of the first round. I will blog as far into the first round as my time allows.
1) Miami Dolphins- OL, Jake Long,
7) New England Patriots- traded to the
8) Jacksonville Jaguars- DE Derrick Harvey, Florida, 6’4”, 260 lbs.
10) New England Patriots- ILB
15) Detroit Lions- Traded to the
15) Kansas City Chiefs- OT/OG Brandon Albert, 6’6.5”, 320 lbs. Albert was potentially the Chiefs pick at five until Dorsey fell to them. For them to go out and get him at 15 is a steal. Albert should have been taken earlier. This is a true steal for the Chiefs. They now have their LT for this season and the future.
18) Baltimore Ravens- QB Joe Flacco, Delaware, 6’6”, 237 lbs. Mel stated that he has the strongest arm of any QB in this draft but is still able to move around in the pocket. It is said that he is a quick learner. This is the pick that the Ravens wanted. They traded down and then moved back up to ensure they would have their man.
19) Philadelphia Eagles- Traded to Carolina Panthers: The Panthers give the Eagles their 2nd and 4th from this year and next year’s 1st pick for the Eagles’ 1st round pick.
20) Tampa Bay Buccaneers- CB Aqib Talib, Kansas, 6’1”, 195 lbs. Talib is a very talented CB that fell because of behavioral concerns and drug use. He is a great pick talent wise for the Bucs. We will have to see how his behavioral issues are in the NFL.
22) Dallas Cowboys (from CLE)- RB Felix Jones, Arkansas, 6’0”, 207 lbs. Okay, time for this Cowboy fan to rant about this pick. With the board falling well for the Cowboys where they could get either CB Jenkins or any WR at this spot, they reach to get Jones. Jones would have been there at 28 or maybe they could have traded up for him in the second round. RB was a need position for the Cowboys but CB is a greater one. Why not wait or consider Mendenhall if you are going RB at this position. I am sure that Jones will be a great edition to the Cowboys and will give them the speed they need as a change of pace back.